Thursday, September 24, 2015

No8Do (by Adana)

                                                           
In Seville there is a symbol called No8Do. It means "She has not abandoned me". It was created by King Alfonso X. King Alfonso loved cryptograms a lot.  A cryptogram is a coded message. He went out to war against his son who was trying to become king.  The people of Seville supported King Alfonso and he won.  That's why he made the symbol No8Do, because they didn't abandon him.  In Spanish, you say "no me ha dejado". The figure 8 in the middle looks like yarn.  In Spanish it is called madeja.  So No(madeja)Do sounds a lot like "no me ha dejado". 

My mom, Micah, Torah and I went to Costco yesterday and on our way there we saw this symbol a lot.  Here are some of them we saw:

on a sign above a door

at the bus stop to go to Costco

on the bus

on a sewer, Torah loves this one 

this one is on a post, my favorite one

1 comment:

  1. Very informative, Adana! I can't wait for you to show me more of them when I'm there!

    ReplyDelete